The Turquoise Card of Turkey
The Turquoise card scheme of Turkey (Turkuaz Kart in Turkish) will appeal to highly skilled foreign workers looking to relocate to the country. Often compared to the green card in the USA, applicants show they can actively contribute towards the Turkish economy or specific areas of expertise such as technology or science.
The Turquoise scheme is an amendment to the International Workforce Law. It does not replace the standard working permits regulations for foreigners but instead adds another level for applicants who will contribute in their areas of expertise or through investment in the Turkish economy.
What is the Turquoise Card of Turkey?
The two most important specific areas of difference compared to a standard working permit is that the Turquoise scheme rewards applicants with certain rights that a citizen would receive, as well as indefinite work permits and residence permits for spouses and children.
Criteria to Apply for a Turquoise Card
Applicants need to fulfill one or more of the following five criteria;
1. Prove high-level qualifications and skills by education, wage, vocational knowledge and experience.
2. Be a high-quality investor according to employment, scientific and technological development, or similar characteristics.
3. Be contributing towards science and technology development, or for the benefit of the country at international levels in the fields of science, industry and technology.
4. Be contributing towards cultural, artistic or sports activities within Turkey.
5. Be contributing towards the international recognition or promotion of Turkey or Turkish culture. These activities should be in the national interests of Turkey.
How to Apply for the Turquoise Card of Turkey
The application can be made in Turkey, or abroad and through the system with legal representation. If the applicant is already in Turkey, they can apply directly to his/her foreign identification number. Application information and documents from abroad will be made in electronic form.
Necessary documents to apply for the Turquoise Card;
• Application form
• Conformity certificate obtained from the relevant public institution to prove eligibility
Depending on which criteria the applicant satisfies, the following documents should also be submitted;
• A foreign diploma, employment contract, CV or assignment letter. These documents should be internationally recognized.
• Investors should show the foreign cash account balance, employment level, export credit, financial solvency, business region, and sector and business documents.
• Scientists and researchers need to file diplomas, academic career, studies and licenses history, details of any trademark or patented materials.
• Cultural, artistic or sports applications need to prove their success at the national or international level.
• Foreigners contributing to the recognition or promotion of Turkey or Turkish cultures should submit documents showing their involvement or recognized status at an international level.
How is a Turquoise Card Application Evaluated?
Applicants will need to score sufficient points within a set and defined evaluation system. Officials judging the application may also get opinions of faculty members and institutions and organizations related to the industry or area of expertise based on the applicant’s professional skills.
The scoring system is based on;
• The level of education
• Prestige of the higher education institution
• Wage bracket
• Seniority of the institution
• Level of expertise or professional experience
If the foreigner is applying as a qualified investor, the following is also scored;
• Export or employment activity
• Investment activity
• Nature of the region and business
• Movable or immovable properties owned in Turkey
• Similar criteria demonstrating their intellectual or industrial property rights and qualifications
If the applicant is applying as a scientist or researcher, scoring is based on;
• Academic title
• Participation in national or international institutions in the field of science and technology
• Involvement in domestic or international organizations with registered trademarks, patents, trademarks or licenses
• Innovation activities
Scoring for sports applications is based on the national or international achievements of the club of which the applicant is a member and the national sportsman status of the foreign athlete. Entrepreneurs should prove recognition of their work and domestic or international awards.
Likewise, foreigners contributing to confirmation or promotion of Turkey or Turkish culture are scored on promotional activities including time, duration, sustainability, continuity, influence, ideas, works of art, and activities carried out internationally.
Note: The General Directorate can make changes in scoring systems or set differentiated scoring systems on a regional, provincial, sectoral or occupational basis.
Are Applications Guaranteed?
No, refusals can happen for any of the following reasons;
• Applicant cannot meet the assessment criteria
• Applicant does not adhere to international labour policy
• The information and documentation submitted are falsified or misleading
• Reasons for employment are not sufficient
• The profession linked to the application is restricted to Turkish citizens only
• The interior ministry refuses permission for the applicant to enter Turkey, and gain a visa
• The applicant has been or will be deported
• Turkey does not have recognized, established diplomatic relationships with the applicant's home country
• The candidate is not allowed to work because of public order, security and health concerns
What is the Transition Time?
The first three years of holding the Turquoise card is called the transition time during which an appointed specialist will monitor the domestic and foreign activities and commitments of the cardholder. The designated specialist will also prepare reports every twelve months according to set criteria specified by the General Directorate.
If the appointed specialist requires any additional information or documents, the cardholder is obligated to submit these within 15 days of the time of the request. If any discrepancies arise from the reports, the cardholder has a three-month period to rectify them. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of the card.
Requests to remove the transition period are made within the last 180 days of the three years. If an application is not submitted, the turquoise card becomes invalid. Upon approval by the end of the three-year transition period, the turquoise card becomes indefinite.
Holders of the Turquoise Card are...
• Exempt from compulsory military service required by law of male Turkish citizens
• Cannot be elected into public office
• Obligated to join the social security system of Turkey (SGK)
Applicants will receive the same benefits as a Turkish citizen regarding residence, travel, work, investment, commercial activity, inheritance, movable and immovable business, and remuneration. However, if the law requires the person to be a Turkish citizen, the rights and benefits shall not apply. In exceptional circumstances, the Turquoise cardholder and their relative may be granted Turkish citizenship if they are not a threat to national security, public order or under the transition period.
Can a Turquoise Card be Cancelled or Revoked?
If the cardholder does not come to Turkey within six months of approval or is outside of the country for more than two years in one continuous period without proving force majeure, it will be revoked.
Other situations include...
• The applicant has been working illegally
• The applicant did not retain employment for one continuous year
• The applicant submitted false or misleading information, and documents
• The candidate does not fulfill requests for documents or evidence within the transition time
• The applicant has been denied legal permission to enter Turkey or deported
• Their work causes disruption to public order, security or health
The applicant can also request cancellation of the card in which case it loses its validity.
We help customers of Antalya Homes to apply to the Turquoise card system. Alternatively, if you don’t plan to work but are investing 250,000 USD in real estate, you may be interested in the fast track citizen program instead. If you want to live in Turkey and are buying property at the same time, contact our offices via email, telephone or by visiting in person to discuss your choices with a property sales advisor.
Covid-19 and It's Effects on Turkish Property Market
One-week Winter Holiday in Antalya
Turkey’s Home Sales Report 2019
A New Regulation: Energy Performance Certificate Requirement in Turkey
10 Reasons to Consult a Real Estate Agent
Health Tourism in Turkey
To Be Always in Vogue: Turkish Real Estate Market
Bursa Homes is Established
READ ALL NEWS